Folkes fights for his right to barbie

Controversial far-right activist Nicholas Folkes has had his “memorial” rally shut down but still plans on enjoying a non-halal snag at a barbecue in Cronulla this weekend.

韩国半永久纹眉

Mr Folkes and his anti-Islam Party For Freedom had planned to hold a rally and a procession on Saturday to mark the 10th anniversary of the Cronulla riots.

But a NSW Supreme Court judge has banned the rally and Mr Folkes has given a sworn undertaking not to address any gathering in the southern Sydney beachside suburb.

Instead he wants to throw a halal-free barbecue.

“As a citizen and as a free man of Australia, I have the right to go down there and throw a barbecue,” Mr Folkes told the Federal Court.

Speaking outside court, Mr Folkes said he did not intend to defy the Supreme Court prohibition, nor contravene his undertakings in the Federal Court.

He said he was shocked by the outcomes of the twin proceedings.

“This is sharia law in action. Where’s the freedom of speech?” Mr Folkes said.

“There was talk about a barbecue. I don’t know in legal terms if I’m actually allowed to mention it or say that there is going to be a barbecue, but it doesn’t stop me from going down there. I will be down in Cronulla tomorrow … it’s going to be an interesting day.”

Wearing jeans, a striped shirt and a bow tie, Mr Folkes gave an undertaking to the Federal court to alert Party for Freedom supporters – who refer to themselves online as “patriots” – via his websites and Facebook page that a planned rally at Don Lucas Reserve had been cancelled.

Party supporters sitting in the public gallery of the courtroom broke into chuckles as Mr Folkes pondered: “Is there any law stating that I’m not allowed to have a barbecue?”

If he breaks with the undertakings offered he could be prosecuted for contempt and his property – including his home in the inner west suburb of Rozelle – may be seized.

Earlier on Friday in the NSW Supreme Court Justice Christine Adamson agreed to prohibit the planned event following an application by the NSW Police Commissioner.

Sutherland Shire Mayor Carmelo Pesce said the decision was a win for the community.

“The community has spoken and has taken on these people and the law was on our side,” he said.

He was confident police would deal with anybody who decided to ignore the court’s decision.

“Tomorrow is business as usual … people just need to be able to go about their business as normal,” he said.